Thank you for celebrating International Day of Older Persons October 1, 2020.
Alberta Council on Aging called on Albertan municipalities and their various organizations to join in celebrating International Day of Older Persons on Oct. 1, 2020.
This year marked the 75th Anniversary of the United Nations and the 30th Anniversary of the International Day of Older Persons (UNIDOP). This year has also seen the emergence of COVID-19 which has caused upheaval across the world. It has also raised the question: How do pandemics change how we address age and ageing?
Marking this day emphasizes the value of seniors and raises awareness about the inequalities and barriers older adults face. Let us also recognize and celebrate positive age and honor the older adults in our communities.
We thank those municipalities and organizations who took part in celebrating positive age and honouring the older adults in communities across Alberta on October 1, 2020:
- Alberta Council on Aging
- Alberta Ministry of Seniors & Housing – performed a flag raising; Minister Pon delivered a speech
- City of Medicine Hat & Chinook Village – performed a proclamation ceremony
- City of Cold Lake
- Fishing Lake Metis Settlement – hosted a tea event to celebrate older persons on October 1
- M.D of Pincher Creek No. 9
- M.D of Smoky River No.130
- County of Grande Prairie – hosted their #AgeHappens online campaign that addresses some common myths on aging
- County of Forty Mile No. 8
- Northern Sunrise County
- Strathcona County
- M.D of Ranchland No. 66
- Town of Morinville – Community Services – hosted the “Seniors Expo That Didn’t Go”; personally invited seniors to come get a swag bag
- Town of Barrhead
- Town of Ponoka
- Town of Drayton Valley
- Town of Bentley
- Town of Sexsmith
- City of Beaumont FCSS – click here to see poster
- City of Edmonton
- ThirdAction Film Festival featured a free screening of “The Age of Love” October 1.
- Age Friendly Edmonton shared a video on October 1 showcasing former Poet Laureate, Alice Major, reading a refreshed version of “Gift Of Age“.
- Westend Seniors Activity Centre hosting a day of activities on October 1st. Local dignitaries will be in attendance.