Are you age-friendly?
With summer comes the excitement of outdoor festivals, special events and fairs.
If you represent an organization or are a member of a planning committee, here are some tips to consider when creating an age- friendly community event.
In an age-friendly community:
- outdoor areas and public buildings, washrooms are pleasant, safe and accessible
- the grounds are safe and maintained (either paved or solid surface – gravel is not a good ground coverage for individuals of any age that have mobility issues)
- public transportation to these events – close drop off zones for easy access
- seating – plentiful and in areas where individuals won’t feel isolated from the activities of the event
- areas with shade and protection from unpredictable weather occurrences. (outdoor tents are great for these needs)
- opportunities for older adults to be socially active and engaged
- older adults have access to meaningful volunteer opportunities
- information is easy to find, use and understand. Ambassadors and way finders are available
Make a difference! Volunteer with Us